I was at the farmers market Saturday and passed the beautiful stacks of beetroot. I was drawn in by the deep purple and golden orange nicely stacked with the vibrant green and red leaves waving in the wind. I couldn’t help but pick up a few bunches.
Beet and Fennel Soup with Kefir
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 large or two small fennel bulbs, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons fennel seeds
2 large beets, peeled and cubed
2 cups or 500ml chicken broth (ideally home-made)
1 cup or 250 ml kefir
Additional kefir and fennel fronds (for garnish)
1. Sauté the onion, fennel and fennel seeds in olive oil in a large saucepan until softened.
2. Add the cubed beets and stir to coat. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
3. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook until the beets are tender, 18 to 20 minutes.
4. Puree soup in a blender in batches if necessary.
5. Return to the same saucepan. Whisk in the kefir and season soup with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
6. Rewarm the soup as necessary.
When ready to serve, ladle the soup into bowls and drizzle with additional kefir and garnish with fennel fronds.Serve with a slice of warm toast. Try this recipe for my favourite bread  from My New Roots . I typically adapt the recipe so it is gluten free and have also made it quinoa instead of oats. Either way you can’t go wrong. Bon Appétit!