Good digestive function is the foundation of optimal health. Digestive problems impact on all body systems causing more than just stomach aches, gas or diarrhea and are often at the root of chronic health problems.
A healthy gut is about health and wellbeing for the whole body. The digestive tract is the main site for absorption and assimilation of nutrients and is a major line of defence against foreign invaders such as bacteria, viruses and parasites. Research tells us that 70-80% of our immune system lies within the gut. We also have masses of neurons lining the gut, making up the enteric nervous system comprised of very important neurotransmitters playing key roles in hormones, brain function and certain diseases throughout the body.
How do you know if you have a digestive issue?
Common symptoms indicating that you may want to address your gut health include:
- chronic gas
- joint pain
- sleep disturbances
- low energy
- mood changes
- skin irritation
- poor memory
- sinus issues
- and more …
Digestive problems left untreated is a gateway to inflammation and disease such as arthritis, fibromyalgia, mental health disorders, autoimmune conditions and even cancer.
What can you do to restore digestive health?
Our world is full of 100s of more chemicals and toxins that ever before putting greater strain on the body and impacting health. But, we do have power to positively affect our own health through what we expose ourselves to and the food we choose to put into our bodies.
There are fantastic methods and testing to help us identify the root cause of many health issues and disease.
The ‘5 Rs’ (Remove, Replace, Repair, Re-inoculate and Rebalance) is a protocol used among Nutritional Therapists, Naturopaths and Functional Medicine practitioners with great success. The concept is to:
- Remove food intolerances, toxicity, parasites, bacteria or yeast overgrowth, viruses, and anything else that may be stressing the digestive system and microbiome balance.
- Replace digestive secretions by supporting the body’s ability to make digestive enzymes, stimulate bile and stomach acid production and ensure the essential nutrients are onboard for healing.
- Re-inoculate the gut with beneficial bacteria and provide the right environment for them to flourish.
- Repair lining of the digestive tract by supplying key nutrients that can often be in short supply in a disease state. In most disease that beings in the gut we see something called intestinal permeability or ‘leaky-gut’. This phase is essential to maintain health.
- Rebalance the body. Pay attention to food and lifestyle choices and make goals to keep a healthy body and mind.
Look out for the next gut health course with The FoodRemedy. This 4 night course “It takes Guts to be Healthy” is 1/2 lecture 1/2 practical, exploring recipes and foods to support the discussion on the night. The aim is to give attendees enough information and confidence to start tackling their own health issues in the kitchen today. Simple, effective lifestyle and dietary choices that could make all the difference.
Make a Nutritional Therapy consultation at Root Health Nutrition with Tara Zuluaga Dorgan Dip NT.. Tara provides unique, personalized nutrition care using functional testing, food choice, lifestyle changes and therapeutic supplementation to address the underlying cause of disease and strengthen vitality. Each plan is tailor made. She offers a wide range of advanced functional testing to identify nutrient or hormone imbalances, system dysfunction, viruses and parasites, genetic glitches and more.